The Professional Master’s Program in Intellectual Property and Technology Transfer for Innovation (PROFNIT) is a national network master’s degree program that is the result of an effort between the National Forum of Innovation and Technology Transfer Managers – FORTEC and institutions of higher education.
PROFNIT is also a response to the difficulties found in the university-company interaction since it trains professionals to work in the interface between interdisciplinary actions and innovation environments, acquiring language, knowledge and experience common to both. In addition, the program allows for the creation of a critical mass in Brazil which may contribute to potential future institutional graduate programs in Intellectual Property and Technology Transfer – IPTT and technological innovation.
PROFNIT aims to meet the national demand for professionals with a solid and integrative training to work in the Technological Innovation Centers – NITs. More specifically, it aims to meet the needs of graduates working within the responsibilities of the NITs as required by Law, as well as of civil servants from Science and Technology Institutions (ICTs) and innovation agents serving in productive environments.
The Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina is one of the 12 centers – called Focal Points – in which the program is offered, and the Universidade Federal de Alagoas – UFAL is the coordinating center. The other participating institutions are: IFBA, IFCE, UEM, UESC, UFBA, UFPE, UFRJ, UNB, UFRR and UNICENTRO.
At UFSC, the Focal Point is linked to the Prorectorate for Research – PROPESQ.
PROFNIT’s Map in Brazil
Level: Professional Master’s Degree
Name: PROFNIT – Professional Master’s in Intellectual Property and Technology Transfer for Innovation Developed in National Network for Technological Innovation Centers
Description: The program develops human resources for the Technological Innovation Centers (NITs) with knowledge on intellectual property (IP), technology transfer (TT) and technological innovation. The training is extended to innovation agents of other public and private bodies.
Objective: To develop human resources, at the professional master’s level, able to meet the competences of the NITs as required by Law and which are also necessary for other organizations in the area.
Student profile: Graduated professionals who work in the field of Intellectual Property, Technology Transfer and Technological Innovation within the scope of the competences of the NITs, as well as civil servants from Education and Technology Institutions and other organizations in the area.
Profile of the graduate: Graduates will have the minimum skills to exercise the competences expected of the NITs and other organizations in the area. They will be able to:
– know the legislation and public policies regarding IPTT and technological innovation;
– know and propose policies to stimulate the protection of creations;
– evaluate the appropriateness of the protection of creations and their dissemination;
– process applications and manage the maintenance of intellectual property titles;
– act in licensing, innovation and other forms of technology transfer;
– promote entrepreneurship culture in public and private environments.
They will also have the minimum skills to exercise the competences required to act in the NITs, according to the alterations of the Law of Innovation proposed in the bill PL2177/2011. This means they will be able to:
– develop studies of technological prospecting and competitive intelligence in the field of intellectual property, in order to guide the innovation actions of the Science and Technology Institutions (STI);
– develop studies and strategies for the transfer of innovations generated by STIs;
– promote and monitor the relationship between STIs and companies;
– negotiate and manage technology transfer agreements originated from STIs.
In their work within the responsibilities of the NITs and other organizations in the area, graduates will have the basic knowledge required for the university-business dialogue, being able to actively interact with the governmental, business and academic sectors.